Call for entries for Wienerberger Brick Award 2020
Submitted projects must make use of clay building materials and combine functionality, sustainability and energy efficiency.
The ninth edition of the Wienerberger Brick Award, the international competition that will recognise the innovative use of brick in architecture in 2020, is open for submissions until 9 April 2019.
The award is divided into five categories:
- Feeling at home: single-family houses, semi-detached houses and small housing projects of high architectural quality that provide comfortable, healthy & sustainable living spaces;
- Living together: multi-family houses: innovative residential solutions taking into account the trends and challenges of urbanisation such as scarcity of space, social challenges and new living concepts;
- Working together: comfortable, aesthetic and functional commercial buildings, offices and industrial buildings;
- Sharing public spaces: comfortable, aesthetic and functional public buildings for education, culture, healthcare, public places and infrastructure projects;
- Building outside the box: innovative concepts and ways of using brick, use of new construction technologies, special brickworks, custom-made bricks and new ornamentation.
Whether hollow tiles, facing bricks, roof tiles or terracotta pavers, clay products should play a significant role in submitted projects. The finalists are selected largely according to criteria of functionality, sustainability and energy efficiency.
After the submission period ends, a panel of architecture journalists and critics will narrow down the number of entries to 50 nominated projects for the Wienerberger Brick Award 2020, which will be published in the book Brick20.
An international jury of architects will select the five category winners as well as the Grand Prize winner in time for the prestigious award ceremony to be held in Vienna in Spring 2020.
For further information, visit the website www.brickaward.com.